We're here to help during the current COVID-19 crisis. To protect our clients and therapists we are currently offering Telemental Health (online video sessions).
Successful Relationships Tips
By Staci Lee Schnell, M.S., C.S., LMFT
February 13, 2014
With Valentine’s Day coming up, it is a good time to discuss some tips for sustaining long term relationships successfully. Marriage is like a roller coaster; it has its ups and downs and it’s a wild ride that can be scary and amazing all at the same time. I hope you and your partner enjoy the ride of a lifetime!
1. Take Care of You First: Eat right, exercise, and get plenty of rest. Taking care of your own needs first will actually allow you to be more giving to and caring of your partner.
2. Say “I Love You”: Saying these three powerful words can provide the security and happiness your partner needs and it simply says that you care.
3. Touch Your Partner: Giving a hug or hand holding gives your partner that warm affectionate feeling inside and shows you are happy your partner is there with you.
4. Appreciation and Gratitude: Tell your partner “I am proud of you” and “I admire you”. Thank your partner for all your partner does, whether it’s financial, family, or household support.
5. Date Night: Don’t forget to have alone time so you can enjoy each other’s company. Sharing your daily stories with one another keeps you close and bonded.
6. Fight Fair: Couples that agree to disagree are healthy communicators. Don’t hold feelings in, tell your partner how you are feeling so things can change for the better.