We're here to help during the current COVID-19 crisis. To protect our clients and therapists we are currently offering Telemental Health (online video sessions).
Addiction Counseling can help one gain control of their life again. There are many factors that may have led to the abuse or dependence. The important thing is the willingness to find solutions to the problems and explore the underlying core issues that are causing one to numb their feelings of hurt, anger, anxiety, depression, trauma and/or poor self-esteem.
Some Types of Addictions treated:
- Substance Abuse (Drug and Alcohol)
- Sex Addiction
- Video Game
There is a difference between substance use and substance addictions. When one’s home life, relationships, and employment are negatively affected it’s probably an addiction.
Warning Signs of Substance Abuse and Dependence:
- Finding it difficult to stop using drugs and alcohol even if you are trying
- Work, school, relationships are negatively affected when under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Feeling sick (withdrawal symptoms) – sweating, hallucinations, trembling, high blood pressure when not taking substances
- Feeling the need to use drugs or drink to feel normal
- Continuing to use even while experiencing negative side effects
- Spending more and more time trying to find ways to get drugs or alcohol
- Using more and more drugs or alcohol to get the same “good feeling”
The American Psychiatric Association reports that addictive disorders are caused by 10 classes of substances, which include (with common examples):
- Opioids (prescribed painkillers, heroin)
- Stimulants (meth, amphetamines, cocaine)
- Sedatives, hypnotics (sleeping pills), anxiolytics (Xanax or Valium)
- Hallucinogens (PCP or LSD)
- Inhalants (glue, paint thinner)
- Other – unknown or emerging drugs like K2 or bath salts.
Gambling can ruin one’s relationships, interfere with their work, and may lead to one’s financial catastrophe. People that gamble may even resort to stealing money in order to gamble or pay their debts.
Compulsive Gambling, is a type of impulse-control disorder. Compulsive gamblers cannot control their impulse to gamble, it’s all they think about and all they want to do, no matter the consequences.
Problem Gambling, is a gambling behavior that disrupts one’s life. Problem gamblers are preoccupied with gambling, they spend more time and money on gambling and they chase losses.
Food addiction may play a role in obesity; however, normal-weight people also struggle with food addiction. Food addicted people continue to eat despite negative consequences, such as weight gain or damaged relationships and they have trouble stopping their behavior, even if they want to or have tried many times to stop.
Signs of Food Addiction:
- Eating more than planned when eating certain foods
- Continue to eat certain foods even if no longer hungry
- Eat to the point of feeling ill
- Worry about not eating certain types of foods
- Worry about cutting down on certain types of foods
- Going out of the way to obtain certain foods
Call 954-951-2929 to speak with one of our Therapists about our Addiction Counseling Services. Available types of Addiction Counseling at the Counseling and Wellness Center of South Florida (CWCSF) are; Individual Counseling, Couples Counseling, Family Therapy, and Group Therapy. Services are available in English and Spanish.
CWCSF is not a 12 Step program.
12 Step Resources:
If you are in need of emergency services, please contact:
South Florida Crisis Intervention: Dial 211